Say, for a moment that your boyfriend/girlfriend/friend/sister/brother/cousin/whoever is moving. Say you love them very much, and they have just managed to get all of their Earthly belongings into their brand spankin’ new place. Say they cannot, for the life of them, find their gosh darn silverware. Or their plates, or their coffee mugs, or even their toothbrush. Yikes.
You, being the fabulous person you are, think what item of insane deliciousness can I bring over there, to lift their spirits, and give them the courage to dig through their boxes to find their lost toothbrush?
Well let me tell you.
I will tell you.
Dirty Rice baby. A while back, Tyler moved into a glorious apartment. It’s quite cute, I must say. But when Tyler had the entirety of his kitchen packed into boxes, I sprung into action. A Le Creuset full of dirty rice? Check. Two spoons? Check. And that’s all we need. Let’s go!
2 c uncooked rice (I used brown rice)
1 32 oz box of chicken broth
1 package of sweet Italian sausage (you can use spicy if you’d like)
1 white onion, chopped
1 zucchini, chopped
I bunch of swiss chard, thick ribs removed, chopped
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
salt and pepper
1. Start by combining the rice and chicken broth in a pot. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and allow to simmer until the liquid has diminished and the rice is tender (mine took 30 minutes).
2. As the rice cooks, in a separate pot (the one you plan to bring along) remove the Italian sausage from the casings and cook over high heat. Once it’s cooked, remove and set aside.
3. In that same pot, reduce the heat to medium-high, add the onion, zucchini, and chard and cook
4. Combine all the ingredients, including the red pepper flakes, into the same pot, mix well. Salt and pepper to taste.
5. Hey! Look! You’re good to go! Grab two spoons, allow your pot to cool enough, and get goin!
Listen. Maybe you don’t want to bring this pot of dirty rice anywhere. Maybe you want to stand over your stove with a wooden spoon, and mow down. Hey, I won’t judge. But share. It’s good for you.
Yum Foodie Foodie!